If fossil fuel-based motorbikes and cars dominated the last century, electric vehicles would take the next decade. All automobile manufacturers are in the race to become a leader in the electric vehicle market. The market size of this segment is supposedly in billions of dollars. The traditional motorbike manufacturers are getting ready to lure the environment-conscious motorbike buyer, but some new start-ups have also joined this bandwagon to go green the new mantra.
There is a general push from the Indian government to go in for electric vehicles to reduce the carbon footprint and become compliant to the climate change accord as per the Paris convention.
One such name in the news recently was the Ola Electric Scooter from the newest electric motorbike manufacturing company on the horizon. The Ola Electric Mobility Pvt. Ltd is a subsidiary company of the digital unicorn and one of the leading app-based cab-hailing company Ola Cabs. With an ambitious vision to manufacture 1 million units per year at their newly set, Chennai-based manufacturing works, the owner and founder Bhavesh Aggarwal went on record saying that by 2025, only electric two-wheelers will get manufactured and purchased in India. Also, he wants Ola Electric to have a 50% share of the Global electric motorbike market. Going by the customer response of 100,000 bookings on the 1st day of the launch, this new electric scooter will burn the roads soon.
The Ola electric scooter will be available in 2 versions S1 and S1 Pro. To know more about the Ola electric scooter, read the details below.
The Ola electric scooters are priced quite competitively against the traditional motorbike manufacturers and the rival electric scooter. The S1 has an ex-showroom tag of Rs. 99,999, whereas the high-end S1 Pro will cost you Rs. 1,29,000.
These prices are exclusive of the FAME II subsidy announced by the Government of India and a similar subsidy from the state governments, making the final price even more attractive for the new buyer.
Features and Functions
- Both the Ola S1 and S1 Pro have large LED heads and rear lamps for maximum visibility on unlit or dark India roads.
- The massive boot of 36 liters holds large amounts of baggage, be it multiple shopping bags, grocery items, or even some business loads.
- The console is fully digital with a large TFT screen giving the rider complete information on speed, distance, mileage, and fuel.
- This console also provides integrated connectivity for your smartphone on Wi-Fi and GPS.
Some of the highlights of its features are –
- This feature allows the motorbike user to remotely start the electric scooter as he approaches the e-bike through their smartphone.
- The S1 revs up smoothly and gives a great pick-up.
- It also allows for locking the motorbike as one leaves the e-bike.
Moods and Widgets
Like the premium sports bike has ride modes, this electric scooter comes with mood and widgets to give the rider complete control over the riding experience. So, customize your mood, the look, feel, and riding conditions change at the touch of your fingers.
- The digital dashboard on the electric motorbike of S1 comes alive through a mini-app specially designed to give a personalized riding experience.
- You can store your favorite destinations like the café downtown or the friends adda your pizza place and zip to your place in no time.
- There are features like quick hands-free calls to favorite contacts, sending pre-selected SMS while riding, or sending your location to your known contact for a quick meeting.
A move from text to voice-activated controls, Ola S1 too has built-in voice-sensitive controls. Say, Hey OLA, to activate it.
- Powered by Google maps, this electric motorbike can navigate in the city or remote places.
- Search the destination and the route on your smartphone and send the Google results to the S1 or S1 Pro electric motorbike.
- Follow the directions given on the large TFT LCD console and reach your destination in an instant.
- The S1 and S1 Pro electric motorbike also can get the direction for the nearest charging station at the fingertips, so you don’t have to stress about discharged battery pack.
- The Ola S1 and S1 Pro bike’s enhanced features can track your electric bike with an anti-theft alert, SOS alert in case of theft.
- The side stand alert will never let the side stand drag along when you ride in an emergency.
- The area limit alert helps in unknown terrain/location and the tamper alerts the motorbikes own built-in safety mechanism to thwart any theft or damage to the motorbike.
Hill Hold and Reverse
Both Ola S1 and S1 Pro have reverse gear on tap and hill hold for riding and braking on steep slopes.
Engine and Performance
- The Ola S1 and S1 Pro have the indigenously designed Hyperdrive motor, which produces the highest ever peak power of 8.5Kw at 58Nm torque, a 1st of its kind in an electric motorbike.
- The motor powers this electric motorbike for a top speed of 115 Km/h in the S1 Pro edition while the S1 has a top speed of 90 Km/h.
- The engine has a 2.98 kWh and 3.98 kWh lithium-ion battery, giving a range of 121 Km and 181 Km on the S1 & S1 Pro models.
- The standard charging time for a full charge is 4.5 hours for S1 and 6.5 hours for S1 Pro, but both can fast charge using Ola charging stations and give a full charge in 18 minutes to take you up to 75 km in the distance.
Suspension and Brakes
- The Ola S1 comes with a tubular frame with a dynamic curved design for the floor-mounted battery pack.
- The suspension is designed to take on all types of roads and terrains.
- The front end has a single shock fork-type suspension, whereas the rear end has a single swing arm suspension.
- Fitted with 220 mm and 160 mm disc brakes on the front & rear wheels, the Ola S1 ground clearance is 165 mm in line with Indian road conditions.
- The wheelbase is large at 12 inches for better control.
Service and Support
- The Ola S1 and S1 Pro boast AI-based intelligent maintenance at the tap of the mobile on its in-house app.
- You can avail of the service at home or the designated service workshops.
- The charging is simple, with a plug-in provided for 5 A home sockets.
Besides, Ola has a heavy investment plan for hyper chargers at designated spots across the country for fast charging in 18 minutes flat. Now you will never be out of power while riding on long journeys.
Thus, like its innovative app-based cab-hailing service, these two models, the Ola S1 and S1 Pro, will lead the market share in the years to come with their feature-rich mechanism.
So, if you are planning to buy an electric motorbike, check out the Ola S1 and S1 Pro electric scooters and go ahead with the introductory offer of pre-bookings at Rs. 499.
Disclaimer: This article was prepared or accomplished by it's author in their personal capacity. The opinions expressed in this article are the author's own and do not reflect the view of Motorbikes India or it's owners.
The views and opinions expressed on this web site are soley those of the original authors and other contributors. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of Steve Gerweck, the GERWECK.NET staff, and/or any/all contributors to this site.