New year, new possibilities, that’s so true for 2021, especially for the motorbike community as globally the auto industry is going green and manufacturing more electric vehicles with electric motors than before.
It seems as if the conventional IC or Internal Combustion Engines are a thing of the past and the trend continues with the two-wheeler manufacturers also. More than 20+ companies are competing with each other to capture this eco-friendly mobility market.
The Indian two-wheeler industry is also part of this emerging trend. Most well-known conventional motorbike and scooter manufacturers are coming up with their very own electric bikes and scooters.
So, if you are a scooter enthusiast and are looking for information on which electric scooter to buy, you have come to the right place.
Here’s the list of the top 5 electric scooters in India just for you.
Bajaj Chetak Electric
Price – INR 1.00 Lakhs – INR 1.50 Lakhs
Launch Year – 2020
Bajaj Auto, one of India’s oldest and largest motorbike manufacturers relaunched its iconic scooter Chetak as Chetak E-scooter. Keeping the Classic and vintage look intact, Bajaj powered this chick e-scooter with a sturdy 3.8kw/4.1kw (continuous / peak power) electric motor. The electric motor paired with a high-performance lithium–ion battery pack provides the rider a long-range two-wheeler with a mileage of 95km / single charge in Eco mode and 85km / single charge in Sports mode.
- It has the best in class mileage of 95km / single charge and takes only 3-4 hours for a full charge.
- Chetak’s engine is a powerhouse electric motor made based on BLDC technology with a capacity of 4 kilowatts.
- The Chetak Electric’s Eco mode helps in better utilizing the battery pack, and Sports mode gives it the much-needed speed.
- Additional features of reverse mode to help in easy parking in constrained places.
- It has a top speed of 60Kmph, which is excellent for any electric scooter.
- This scooter has one of the best shock absorbers with front trailing link suspension for a jerk-free ride on any terrain.
- Provided with 12-inch alloy wheels with MRF Zapper tires for more excellent maneuverability and ride safety.
- Its premium variant has a front disc brake and rear drum brakes. The urbane variant has both end drum brakes. The braking system is smooth and designed, keeping in mind the rider’s safety in any condition.
- Its dashboard is made up of a large LCD.
- This scooter is provided with geotagging and geo-fencing for turn-by-turn navigation. So, the possibility of getting lost becomes negligible.
- Get hands-free music on the go by hooking your smartphone to the scooter’s USB plug.
- Especially designed storage compartment for storing charging cable, smartphone if you want to charge it on the go.
- The start and stop mechanism are through its keyless ignition.
- Opening and closing the available storage is through buttons provided on the right panel. Easy access to the storage means no hassles while shopping.
The design team at Bajaj Auto has retained the Classic and Vintage look and made it more smashing using the right amount of Chrome and bright metallic colors. This e-scooter stands out from the rest of the pack available in the electric two-wheeler market because of its simplicity yet classy appeal. A perfect combination of old-world charm and new modern design offers the rider an easy urban riding experience. That in keeping with its catchphrase, “Humara Bajaj.”
Price – INR 1.27 Lakhs – INR 1.45 Lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi)
Launch Year – 2020
Around mid of 2018, a new two-wheeler manufactures burst onto the Go Green and electric scooter scene. Yes, Ather Energy, a new-age start-up in the two-wheeler industry, focused on manufacturing futuristically designed electric scooters in India. First, they launched an electric scooter, ‘450’, to test the market. Once they tasted success, they followed it up with the 450X that broke the records ever since. Then Ather’s design team gave the electric two-wheeler a bold futuristic shape and a dark jet black color to appeal to the youth. Look wise, its close to a sports bike than the conventional scooter, powered by a heavy-duty 3.3-kilowatt continuous /6-kilowatt peak motor that generates 26 Nm of torque—making it a mean machine going from 0 to 40 km/h in just 3.3 seconds, while 0-60 km/h takes 6.5 seconds.
- It has two modes of operation, Eco and Ride mode. The mileage in Ride mode is 70km / single charge, and that in Eco mode is 85 km per charge.
- The 450X goes from 0-40 km/h in 3.3 seconds, making it the fast of the lot.
- It comes powered by an electric motor with 6kW at 26 Nm. The technology used is Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor (PMS), making it the one the most powerful in its range in the electric two-wheeler market.
- Built-in Google Maps for navigation and digital document storage makes it the best intelligent scooter in its category. These superior connectivity and clever features are available as standard offerings.
- A large 7-inch color touch screen with a 1.3 GHz Snapdragon processor on Android Open Source OS and Integrated 4G LTE SIM connectivity makes it the most advanced electric two-wheelers available in India.
- Hands-free music and call control features give the rider a safe and pleasurable driving experience.
- The 450X powered by a reliable 2.9kWH lithium-ion battery pack delivers a mileage of 70km /single charge in Ride mode and 85km/single charge in ECO mode, making it the most economical in its category. Two-wheeler accessories like the Ather Dot charger for home charging is company-provided. The technically superior Ather Grid guarantees fast charging mode 1km per minute of charge up to 80% the best available today. It takes 4.5 hours for a full charge which is better than any of its competitors.
- It provides a smooth and safe riding and braking experience with front and rear Disk brakes with superior suspension using a telescopic fork and mono-shock design.
Overall it is a trendy electric scooter with a GenX appeal and power-packed performance to boot. The Ather 450X is currently available for booking in 9 cities – Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Pune, and Coimbatore.
Hero Electric Dash
Price – INR 50K-INR 62K (ex-showroom New Delhi)
Launch Year – 2020
Hero Motors is not to be left behind, a very trusted name in the bike and scooter industry that has come with not 1 but 3-4 variants for its electric scooter foray. The hottest selling of this lot is the Hero Electric Dash, available in bright metallic colors of Flaming Red, Soothing Blue, Go-getter Green, and Dark, brooding Black. The in-house team has come up with the right combination of futuristic look and a comfortable ride in its sleek design. It is no surprise that Hero Electric Dash, the most affordable electric two-wheeler is the No.1 selling electric scooter in the Indian market as of Feb 2021.
- It gives an excellent mileage of 60 km to a single charge
- This electric scooter is powered by a 111CC engine making it both sturdy & reliable.
- Dash is the most influential electric scooter in the market today. The compact engine generates power of 8.4 bhp @ 7500 rpm and torque of 9.4Nm @5750 rpm.
- The flawless and smooth braking system with drum brakes for both Front & Rear
- It has a curb weight of 77kg, giving it a good balance and making the ride a rich driving experience.
- The wheels come with tubeless tires, and the wheelbase is cast aluminum. The suspension is rock solid, making it the favorite for the pothole city roads.
- It has a top speed of 42 km/h, slower as compared to its competition.
Overall this electric scooter is the right combination of safety and reliability. So, it can be the first choice of any electric two-wheeler buyer.
Price – INR 1.15 Lakhs
Launch Year – Jan 2020
TVS too has entered the electric two-wheeler market with its iQube electric scooter. However, bookings stopped currently with a backlog or a waiting period of 6 months, making it the second most sought-after bike in the market. Launched in Jan 2020 from the tech city, Bengaluru, it was the first to offer online bookings for as low as INR 5000 as the down payment. The booking options were on their official website and at specified dealers in Bengaluru and now in New Delhi. The TVS iQube comes equipped with the latest intelligent features and power-packed performance.
- It gives a mileage of 75 km on a single charge
- Its hub motor is mighty with a capacity of 4.4 kilowatts.
- It has a very user-friendly full-colored digital display that integrates with your smartphone
- This electric scooter has an eyeballs-grabbing design with LED lights and an illuminating logo near the drive train. It comes with an under-seat light for visibility of the storage space at night, most useful in dark areas in parking lots.
- A USB charging socket is provided for charging your smartphone.
- Special features like Q Park for easy parking is available
- Fully integrated connectivity with your smartphone to give full functional navigation using Google maps and past ride statistics. Safety features are built-in features like over-speeding alerts, emergency alerts, battery charge status, and even last park location are available on your mobile through an app. All these are also available on the intelligent dashboard. These features make iQube the safest and most reliable option for an electric scooter buyer.
- Has the option of multiple riding modes with day and night displays for ease of driving.
- The TVS iQube goes from 0-40kmph in 4.2 sec, with a top speed of 75kmph, making it the best performer in its category.
The TVS iQube electric Scooter is best in class in the electric two-wheeler category with a bumpless ride over potholed roads using its telescopic fork and twin shocks. Greater braking power with front & rear drum brakes for this 118 kg heavy-duty scooter. It has smooth maneuverability with its 12-inch wheelbase. Overall it is a lean, mean electric two-wheeler for the young city rider.
Price – INR 1.08 Lakhs (ex-showroom)
Launch Year – 2021
The Okinawa i-Praise+ is the latest entrant in the fastest growing automobile sector, the electric two-wheeler market. This funky electric scooter sports a modern look and a futuristic design, making it the hottest scooter for young millennials. It is currently ranked at No. 2 after Hero Motors as per the latest sales rankings released in Feb 2021.
- It has a mileage of 139 km for a single charge, the highest in its category
- This scooter comes with a powerful 1000 W hub-mounted waterproof electric motor and well supported by its 3.3 kWh lithium–ion battery which gets fully charged in 4-5 hours.
- It comes with safety mobile application to track riding stats, battery charge status, and speed alerts
- Geo-fencing and easy access to Google maps make it a navigation-friendly electric scooter.
- i-Praise+ has central locking and an anti-theft alarm with a keyless entry.
- It has a built-in mobile charging point with a USB port.
- It’s a safe bet for the fast rider with disc brakes for both front and rear ends.
- The top speed of 58 km/h makes it one of the fastest of the block.
- Bumpless riding option with Front Hydraulic telescopic and rear double shocker suspension. Dual technology for a safe and smooth ride.
Thus, these are the top 5 electric two-wheelers by buyer preference launched in 2020-21. So, go, book one of these to zoom through the city traffic in style and with a pure conscience of going green.
Disclaimer: This article was prepared or accomplished by it's author in their personal capacity. The opinions expressed in this article are the author's own and do not reflect the view of Motorbikes India or it's owners.
The views and opinions expressed on this web site are soley those of the original authors and other contributors. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of Steve Gerweck, the GERWECK.NET staff, and/or any/all contributors to this site.